About the Pennsylvania Water Science Center
The Pennsylvania Water Science Center (WSC) is one of 69 U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Science Centers. The Water Science Center's mission is to collect, analyze and disseminate the impartial hydrologic data and information needed to wisely manage water resources for the people of the United States and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The Pennsylvania WSC has a main office in New Cumberland, just west of Harrisburg, and has offices in Exton, Pittsburgh, and Williamsport.
Welcome to the USGS Pennsylvania Water Science Center. Since 1879, the USGS has maintained a distinguished tradition of providing earth-science information in the public service. As a principal operating Science Center of the USGS, the Pennsylvania Water Science Center provides unbiased scientific and technical information needed for the best use and management of Pennsylvania's water resources.
In Pennsylvania, the USGS's water-resources roots date back to the late 1800's, with the initiation of streamflow gaging on the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers and the evaluation of groundwater resources in various parts of the Commonwealth. Today, the Pennsylvania Water Science Center's cadre of nearly 100 scientists, technicians, and support staff in New Cumberland, Exton, Pittsburgh, and Williamsport work in cooperation with numerous Federal, state, and local agencies to collect scientific data and conduct interpretive studies of the source, distribution, quantity, quality, ecology, and use of the Commonwealth's water resources. The results of these activities in some way affect every citizen, every day.
The USGS Pennsylvania Water Science Center is pleased to welcome you to our web pages, where we strive to better meet the water-information needs of the public we serve. Your comments and suggestions will help ensure our web pages meet your requirements for information on the water resources of Pennsylvania and other USGS products and services. If you need water information, please read the tips listed under Frequently Asked Questions and contact us if you have questions. We look forward to hearing from you.
Public Inquiries — Who to Contact
Staff directory — find contacts using our Pennsylvania WSC DirectoryDirections to Pennsylvania WSC Offices
Selected Federal, State, and Local Water-Information Sources
- Directory of Federal Agencies
- General Services Administration
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- National Weather Service (NWS)
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO)
- Delaware River Basin Commission (DRBC)
- Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission (ORSANCO)
- Interstate Commission on the Potomac River Basin (ICPRB)
- Susquehanna River Basin Commission (SRBC)
- Pennsylvania State Government
- Pennsylvania Dept. of Environmental Protection (DEP)
- Pennsylvania Dept. of Conservation
& Natural Resources (DCNR)
- Philadelphia Water Department
- Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
- Chester County Water Resources Authority